LION Publishers will hold their “Independents’ Meeting: Innovation with Integrity, Information with Impact” on June 6th and 7th at Temple University Center City.
This conference is devoted to the journalistic excellence and economic well-being of local independent online news sites, and promises opportunities to discuss common issues and problems, share success stories and encourage the founding of new local news sites.
The event will feature an informative slate of speakers, workshops and panels on topics relating to local publishing, covering real-world strategies for revenue, hands-on technology demonstrations, effective reporting tips, and experts speaking on business and legal issues.
The two day conference is free to members and students, but only $25 for non-members.
LION Publishers has more than 110 members in 30 states and Washington, D.C., representing both for-profit and nonprofit business models — all independently owned and operated — and devoted to local journalism.
Previous LION gatherings have been an excellent source of information and networking for journalists who have recently launched their own local news sites or are considering it. With a wide diversity of membership, and some publishers who have been in operation for over a decade, LION brings together the best business and reporting minds in local online news.
Saturday, June 6, 2:30-7 p.m.
- 2 p.m. Registration
- 2:30-3 p.m Opening Remarks/Introductions
- 3-4 p.m LION Lessons Learned: Share your quick tips in 60 seconds
- 4:10-4:45 p.m Brian James Kirk, Technical.ly Philly: Stealing Ideas from Startups: How we built our journalism tech stack on the cheap
- 4:50-5:30 p.m Jim Brady, Billy Penn: Millennials and Mobile
- 5:30-7 p.m Reception: Beer, wine & appetizers (hosted with kind support from Broadstreet Ads)
Sunday, June 7, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- 9-9:30 a.m Opening Remarks/Introductions
- 9:30-10 a.m Jan Schaffer, J-Lab: Legal Issues for Digital News Startups
- 10:05-10:30 a.m Keith Hammonds, Solutions Journalism Network: Increasing Engagement by Tackling Local Issues
- 10:35-11 a.m Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow, and Dylan Smith, TucsonSentinel.com: Crowdfunding Local Journalism
- 11:05-11:30 a.m Local Publisher Advantage: Kenny Katzgrau, Broadstreet Ads: The Local Publisher’s Advantage
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m Lunch & socializing (box lunch provided)
- 12:30-12:55 p.m Jesse Holcomb, Pew Research Center: Lessons from Pew’s Local Media Study
- 1:0-1:20 p.m Jim MacMillan, Temple University: Inside Philly’s Gun Crisis News project
- 1:20-1:40 p.m Suzanne McBride, Austin Talks, and Kelly Gilfillan, Brentwood Home Page: Internship and Volunteer Programs — Potentials and Pitfalls
- 1:40-2 p.m Jay Allred, Richland Source, and Doug Hardy, CT News Junkie: Revenue Diversity
- 2:10-2:45 p.m LION Member Panel: Roundtable on Revenue Ideas
- 2:45-3 p.m Break
- 3-4 p.m Final Session: Takeaways and Open Discussion
More info and registration: LIONs in Philly
Questions about becoming a sponsor of the LION Summit or about programming or registration can be directed to interim executive director Matt DeRienzo at firstname.lastname@example.org.