In 2013, the Center for Public Interest Journalism will provide sponsorships of up to $2,000 for area public-interest journalists to attend topical conferences. This is an opportunity for reporters, editors and news developers to gain subject-matter expertise and access sources beyond their immediate communities.
Sponsorship will help defray costs for:
- Conference registration
- Travel expenses
- Lodging expenses/per diem costs
Sponsorships will be granted on a rolling basis.
- The subject of the conference must be a public interest topic related to the Greater Philadelphia region
- Applicants should be actively covering the subject matter of the conference or be able to demonstrate its relevance to their work
- Applicants must work in the Greater Philadelphia region
- Applicants must be a professional journalist or adhere to professional standards in news gathering
- Applicants must attend the entire conference
CPIJ will normally restrict attendees to one individual per news organization per conference, and give priority to those who have not received CPIJ-sponsorship previously. For invitation-only conferences, applicants for sponsorship must be invited to qualify.
In addition, applicants are expected to share their experiences and best practices learned at the conference through the CPIJ website and/or in local events organized by the Center and partner organizations.
Selection for sponsorships will be made by CPIJ staff.
To apply, email the following to info <at> cpijournalism <dot> org.
1.) Personal statement explaining your interest in attending the conference and summarizing your previous work experience (no more than 500 words)
2.) Links to relevant conference information
3.) Links or attachments to three articles/columns/work-products demonstrating personal work related to the topic of the conference
4.) An estimated budget for costs to attend the conference including registration, travel and lodging/per diem. CPIJ will use this estimate as a basis for the amount of the grant. Please ensure estimate includes all expected costs.
CPIJ will review applications monthly. Please submit applications at least two months in advance of the conference. Thanks for your interest in this program of the Center for Public Interest Journalism.