The Center for Public Interest Journalism will be supporting 10 journalists from the Philadelphia region who wish to attend ONA13, the Online News Association‘s annual conference, scheduled to take place from October 17th through 19th in Atlanta.
Thanks to a a generous grant from the Wyncote Foundation, CPIJ will provide conference registration and $1,500 in support for each selected applicant — which is intended to help defray the cost of travel and lodging.
- Applicant must work on a public interest news topic in the Greater Philadelphia region
- Applicant must be a professional journalist or news gatherer who adheres to professional journalism standards
- Applicant must be able to attend the entire conference
- As in years past, the Center will seek to restrict attendees to one individual per news organization per conference, and give priority to those who have not received sponsorships from the Center previously.
- Freelance reporters unaffiliated with an organization are welcome to apply.
- Selected applicants must become members of the Online News Association, or maintain current membership.
- Selected applicants are expected to be available and prepared to document and share their experiences and best practices learned at the conference, and participate in local events organized by the Center and partner organizations.
To apply: Please submit the following information via email to email@example.com prior to 5pm EDT on Friday, May 31, 2013:
- News organization/place of employment
- Brief summary of what applicant hopes to gain from attending (no more than 500 words)
- Links to three work samples demonstrating leadership in the public interest news and information community in the Greater Philadelphia area
Selection for this sponsorship will be made by Center leadership, staff and advisors. Thank you for your interest in ONA13 and the work of the Center. Good luck!
The Online News Association is a nonprofit membership organization for digital journalists, connecting journalism, technology and innovation. (more info)
According to journalists.org:
The Online News Association Conference & Awards Banquet has become the premier gathering of highly engaged digital journalists who are shaping the future of media.
Record-breaking numbers of journalists travel to ONA’s conference each year to learn about new tools, techniques and technologies, to discuss advancements and challenges in the industry, take advantage of the rare opportunity to network face-to-face, and share best practices with peers from all over the map.
They also come to soak up the vibrant entrepreneurial spirit that distinguishes ONA conferences. ONA conference attendees are a tech-savvy bunch. They include producers, content editors, technologists, programmers, designers and newsroom decision-makers from major media markets, independent websites and leading academic institutions interested in emerging practices in news gathering, software, hardware, content and distribution platforms.