The Center for Public Interest Journalism is operated by the Temple University School of Media and Communication with support from the William Penn Foundation and the Temple University Journalism Department.
We aim to assist journalists and citizens by:
- Providing regional access to Temple University resources useful for public interest journalism.
- Convening meetings of regional and national thought leaders in public affairs journalism.
- Conducting training in information technology and entrepreneurial journalism.
- Performing forward-looking research for innovative projects as well as project assessment.
- Publishing related research in professional and academic outlets as well as a series of occasional papers.
- Acting as a watchdog over journalism in the region, ensuring that people receive the most trustworthy and reliable information as possible.
Dean, School of Media and Communication: David Boardman
Program Manager: Jim MacMillan
Don Heller, Assistant Dean for Budget and Administration
Nicole McKenna, Director of Graduate Office and Research Services
Rob Velez, Director Information Technology
1701 North 13th Street
Weiss Hall,3rd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19122
The CPIJ Advisory Board comprises Temple University faculty members who use their academic and professional expertise to advise the Center on ways to advance the practice of public affairs journalism. The board is composed of the following members:
Carolyn Adams, Director, Metropolitan Philadelphia Indicators Project
David Elesh, Director, Social Science Data Library
Jeffrey Featherstone, Director, Center for Sustainable Communities
Paul Gluck, Station Manager, TUTV
T.L. Hill, Managing Director, Enterprise Management Consulting Practice, Fox School of Business and Management
Joseph McLaughlin, Director, Temple Public Affairs Institute
Nathaniel Norment, Chair, African American Studies Department
Maida Odom, Assistant Professor, Department of Journalism
Justin Shi, Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science
William Stull, Chair, Economics Department, Fox School of Business and Management
Youngjin Yoo, Associate Professor, Department of Management Information Systems, Fox School of Business and Management